This page contains links to resource materials on a range of topics including, but not limited to diversity, inclusion, language access planning and implementation, and cultural and linguistic competence. Materials are arranged by theme, and type.
Table of Contents
- Self-Advocacy and Self-Determination
- Community Engagement and Involvement
- Language Access Planning and Implementation
- Cultural and Linguistic Competence
- Disparities Resource Guide
- Diversity and Equity in the Workforce
Self-Advocacy and Self-Determination
- Website: The Arc Self-Advocacy Position Statement
Web Link: https://www.thearc.org/who-we-are/position-statements/rights/self-advocacy
- Website: Impact: Feature Issue on Self-Determination and Supported Decision-Making for People with Intellectual, Developmental, and Other Disabilities: https://publications.ici.umn.edu/impact/32-1/cover
- Article: Self-determination: Cultural differences in Perception and Practice: https://publications.ici.umn.edu/impact/32-1/self-determination-cultural-differences-in-perception-and-practice
- Article: The Intersection of Race, Culture, Language and Disability: Implications for Education.
Article Link https://nepc.colorado.edu/sites/default/files/publications/0042085909338686.pdf
Community Engagement and Involvement
- Article: Community-Engagement Strategies of the Developmental Disabilities Practice-Based Research Network (PBRN) – This article uses a case-study approach to describe the events that preceded and fostered formation of partnerships with non-health related entities serving people with I/DD to engage in PBRN.
Article Link https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4822831/pdf/nihms703578.pdf
- Poster Presentation: Increasing Community Engagement for Individuals with Intellectual/Developmental Disabilities
Poster Link: https://scholarworks.umb.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1248&context=ocp_posters
Language Access Planning and Implementation
- Website: The National Culturally and Linguistically Appropriate Standards are a set of 15 action steps intended to advance health equity, improve quality, and help eliminate health care disparities by providing a blueprint for individuals and health and health care organizations to implement culturally and linguistically appropriate services.
- Website: Limited English Proficiency: An Federal Interagency Website that promotes an understanding of the importance of languages access to federal programs and organizations receiving Federal Financial Assistance.
- Web-based Tool: Language Access Assessment and Planning Tool- provides approaches to assessing language assistance needs and a roadmap to assist organizations and agencies in setting priorities, identifying responsible personnel for development of policies and procedures; hiring, contracting, assessing and ensuring quality control of language assistance services both written and oral.
Cultural and Linguistic Competence
- Website: Georgetown University National Center for Cultural Competence (NCCC) – Site contains definitions, frameworks, guiding values and principles of CLC; self-assessment tools and distance learning materials.
- Web-based Learning: NCCC Learning & Reflection Forums archived webinar series.
- Web-Based Tool: AUCD Diversity and Inclusion Toolkit- This web-based toolkit provides objectives, strategies and resources to assist in realizing Council goals related to CLC and diversity.
- On-line document: Use this plan as a model to increase diversity within an organization.
The Arc Diversity Action Plan
- Videos and downloadable files: Resources for young adults with developmental disabilities coming out as lesbian, gay or bisexual. “Coming Out”, Tips for Teachers/Service Providers on Supporting LGBTQ, Suggestions for Families/Allies/Peers and more… https://selfadvocacyinfo.org/resource/resources-for-self-advocates-families-and-allies-about-coming-out/
Disparities Resource Guide
- Video narratives and Resource Guides: Disparities Resource Guide Series will assist Development Disabilities Councils (DD Councils), University Centers for Excellence in Developmental Disabilities and Protection and Advocacy Programs to: Address disparities experienced by identified populations of individuals with intellectual and developmental disabilities and their families; and
Implement changes in policy and practice to mitigate and reduce such disparities.
Diversity and Equity in the Workforce
- Webinar and downloadable file: Race, Equity and Disability provides structural ways that organizations can think about and advance diversity/equity “within” organizations and how to advocate for the same equities “outside” of organizations. RespectAbility and Kerrien Suarez, Executive Dir. of Equity in the Center.
Webinar link – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDNdwjL17fc&feature=youtu.be
PDF file-AWAKE to WOKE to WORK: Building a Race Equity Culture