The DD Act requires that the members of the Council of a State shall be appointed by the Governor of the State from among the residents of that State.(Section 125 (b) (1) (A)) Resources are provided to assist and support the DD Council Members as they fulfill their role.
Click on each category to view the resources
Developmental Disabilities Assistance and Bill of Rights Act (DD Act)
Administration on Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities
AIDD Lobbying vs. Educating Memo – This memo was created by AIDD to help clarify questions regarding lobbying versus educating policy makers. View Lobbying memo (click on Lobbying)
Training and Education
- Global Orientation PowerPoint – This PowerPoint provides global orientation materials for DD Council members. Resource is being updated.
- DD Council Membership Requirements – This resource provides an overview of the DD Act requirements for Council members with additional guidance on specific items. View Orientation document
- DD Council Member Guide – This guide was created by ITACC to assist members in understanding their role. Resource is being updated.
- Supporting Council Member Leaders – Information about the DD Council Program written for Council members – View Information PowerPoint
- Roles and Responsibilities of DD Council Staff and Members View PowerPoint
- DD Council Budget Process – This PowerPoint provides useful information in understanding the budget process for a DD Council. View Budget PowerPoint
- Policy vs. Procedure Document – Provides information on the distinctions between policy and procedures to assist members with their roles and responsibilities. View document
- DD Council Bylaws Overview – Provides an overview of what Bylaws are and how they assist and impact a DD Council. View Bylaws Overview
- Conflict of Interest – This PowerPoint provides background from the DD Act and examples of what constitutes a conflict of interest or the appearance of one. Assurances are also presented. View Conflict of Interest PowerPoint
Additional Resources and Information
- Advocacy, Public Policy, and Activities Resource (2021) – New resource to assist Council staff with helping Council members, staff, and stakeholders to increase their understanding about the role of the Council in “Advocacy, Public Policy, and Activities”.
- Special Publication: Sexual Violence and Abuse Report – This publication highlights Council initiatives and outcomes on the topic. View report
- Disability Policy Framework PowerPoint – Assists in the understanding of goals and opportunities related Disability Policy work. View PowerPoint
- Micromanagement PowerPoint – Assists members in learning if they are taking on roles and responsibilities of staff or directors, which is considered a form of micromanaging. View PowerPoint
- Robert Rules of Order – Provides an overall description of the Roberts Rules of Order in plain English. View Roberts Rules document
- 5 Exemplary Practices in Leadership (2021)
- Chairperson/Committee Chair Leadership Tips